Kindergarten

August 30th, 2012

Maddie’s first week of kindergarten has been all kinds of awesome. She loves it and seems to be thriving with all the play and social interaction. She adores her teacher and has made friends in her class already… including a new Best Friend. (Not “new” as in replacing her previous Best Friend, but “new” as in additional. She wanted me to be sure and make that distinction, lest anyone think she’s not still going to marry her Best Friend, Lily.)

As a reward for following the classroom rules and making good choices this week, tomorrow after we pick her up, we’re going out for snow cones and then a trip to a new park for some playing. As a reward for me having to get up early and packing a week’s worth of lunches, we’re having pizza delivered for dinner tomorrow night.

A surprise bonus has been spending so much one on one time with Sam. I’ve always known he’s awesome and he’s ALWAYS been my favorite son, but getting to spend so much more time with him is just reaffirming it. His talking has even gotten a tidge better seeing as he can now get a word in edgewise without Chatty Cathy doing all of the talking. He does have moments of missing Maddie and wanting her to come home, but mostly he’s having a blast.

I’ve had some weird and unexpected issues with authority. I guess I’m used to being one of only two people who decide what Maddie’s allowed to eat, wear or do. Suddenly, there are all these rules I have to follow for my own kid. It’s no longer just me and her dad who decide what’s acceptable. It was a bitter pill to swallow at first, but I’m dealing with it. I just keep reminding myself that she’s going to have to follow rules and submit to authority figures for the rest of her life and it’s a normal part of growing up. I still get pissy about it in my head, though. I’m not gonna lie.

8 Responses to “Kindergarten”

1. PinkieBling on August 30, 2012 11:35 am

Aww, I’m so happy to hear it’s going well! I know you were both nervous about it. Yay, Maddie!

2. Jennie on August 30, 2012 11:39 am

It seems like this are really good, which makes me so happy for you! I can still remember how much I loved Kindergarten and made my first best friend that sticks in memory. I hope it’s the same for all my internet friends’ kiddos.

3. Devan on August 30, 2012 11:53 am

So glad she likes it!

4. jules on August 30, 2012 2:53 pm

I laughed at the last part. My daughter just started Kinder and at orientation it was stated “Your child must know how to write their full name”> My daughter knows her first name but a part of me went “what the heck??? Why are you telling me what to do and she hasn’t even started school yet?” Kindergarten is fun for them, can you believe by the time they finish the year – your daughter will be reading?????

5. Erica on August 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Jules – Does it make me sound like a douchebag if I say that she already reads? And does double digit addition and subtraction? I say this because I’m honestly worried that she’s going to be bored out of her head by the middle of the year and start acting out. Which is her M.O… and also her father’s… and also mine. At least she comes by it honestly, right?

6. Julie on August 30, 2012 3:27 pm

I am so happy for Maddie I can’t stand it. It’s so great when school is something they actually enjoy. It was an enormous rush of relief when I found out (my) Sam wanted to go back after the first day.

I totally get where you’re coming from about the authority. I still wince internally every time we get “the rules,” partly because I don’t want to have to deal with them and partly because I’m afraid I’ll screw it all up and look like an idiot. Too much pressure! Damn the man! Nothing’s really presented a problem thus far, and most of the time, they’re pretty relaxed and don’t mean to hammer down the letter of the law or anything, but it still sticks in the craw, doesn’t it? Eh, we’ll make it through. If all else fails, we can always send cupcakes. I think. Let me check my handbook…

Congrats on your first week, Maddie!!!

7. Jocelyn Pascall on August 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Good to hear that it’s going well! I remember the first day of class always being so scary!

8. Shelly on August 30, 2012 6:26 pm

I’m so happy she loves it so. I have to admit I’m jealous of your all day kindergarten. Ours is so short it seems barely worth the effort. I bet Sam loves getting to spend special time with his favorite momma.

Comments are closed.