God is love. Just not gay love.

May 9th, 2012

Today President Obama made the statement that he thinks gay couples should be able to marry. Of course, this set off a social media storm. It seems everyone has something to say about this topic, whether they support the President’s belief or not, and they wasted no time posting to Twitter and facebook. (Myself included. Duh.) The tweets weren’t a problem for me at all. I pretty much only follow people I know and like and 90% share the same moral and ethical beliefs. Facebook? Yeah, that’s another matter entirely.

Apparently, some of the people I’ve allowed to be my “friend” do not share that same belief system. And the majority of those people are self-professed Christians who regularly post about their great love for God and Jesus. The stunning revelation is that they absolutely do not feel that same love for their fellow man. They cast aspersions, judge, and condemn simply because they don’t agree with someone. Whether that someone be gay, a woman who chose to have an abortion, a Muslim, or a different color. The hatred these so-called “Christians” feel is astounding. Christianity is a religion based on love. The bible mentions how much God loves us untold number of times. And this one time, He loved us so much that He sent His only begotten Son to die for us. That’s a lot of love, right there, folks. In the New Testament, Jesus repeatedly teaches love, tolerance and forgiveness. There is no hell fire and damnation. And in case you didn’t catch it, “CHRISTianity” is based on the teachings of Jesus. So, whatever the Old Testament says isn’t really what we’re about. We need to be using Jesus as an example for our lives. Giving selflessly, teaching, mentoring, helping, loving. You cannot sing “Jesus loves me” and add your own line that says “but not the gays.”

All that said, gay marriage is not a religious issue. It is absolutely absurd that in 2012 there are Americans that are denied rights that they are entitled to as citizens because they’re gay. We wouldn’t, and didn’t, tolerate that when it came to segregation, women’s rights, or those that are disabled. What if suddenly someone said that people with Down Syndrome can’t marry? Or women had to be forced into marriages arranged by the men in their families? Would we tolerate that based solely on religious beliefs? Not for one hot minute. The simple fact is that all Americans are entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We are all entitled to worship in the way that is right for us. We are all entitled to marry and make financial and medical decisions with our spouse. Gay Americans pay taxes and vote in elections; it’s criminal to declare them second class citizens because some religious beliefs decry them as an abomination. Fine. Call them abominations. Hate them with the fire of a thousand suns. But do not try to deny them their rights as citizens.

And don’t post that hate-filled shit on facebook or I will unfriend you so fast your head will spin.

15 Responses to “God is love. Just not gay love.”

1. Devan on May 9, 2012 6:47 pm

A-freaking-men.

2. Erin on May 9, 2012 8:45 pm

Well said!

3. Jana on May 9, 2012 9:24 pm

Spot on, my friend.

4. K on May 10, 2012 7:22 am

Right on, jive turkey.

5. Megan @ Mama Bub on May 10, 2012 9:35 am

As always, I adore you. Perfection.

6. Natalie on May 10, 2012 9:47 am

You are so, so right. I’m on a FB hiatus because I don’t want to be filled with rage over narrow-minded, petty people.
    And I am so proud of our President.

7. Kate on May 10, 2012 9:55 am

I could not agree more — well said!

8. agirlandaboy on May 10, 2012 9:58 am

Word. WORD.

9. Saly on May 10, 2012 10:24 am

Hell. Yes.

10. Clueless But Hopeful Mama on May 10, 2012 11:18 am

Amen!

I did such a good job de-friending bigoted people a while ago that my FB stream was a refreshing stream of positivity yesterday. I was quite proud.

Though part of me thinks that it might be better for me to have stayed ‘friends’ with those people, if only to engage them respectfully and try to have them see another point of view. (If that’s possible.)

11. Anonymous on May 10, 2012 11:28 am

*standing ovation*

i can’t tell you how pleased i am that literally EVERY COMMENT in my facebook feed over the past 2 days has been disappointed in NC and then happy with the President. my friends: they are good people :)

12. Grace on May 10, 2012 11:53 am

I agree with you!

That being said…..I would like to point out that homosexuality is mentioned in the New Testament too. Also, if your going to believe in the Bible, you can’t discount the Old Testament. You say “So, whatever the Old Testament says isn’t really what we’re about.” Does this mean you don’t agree in the 10 commandments?

Im in a weird place with this subject. I am a Christian but I also think that everybody should have the same rights. I believe in the whole Bible, so I know what it says, yet…..I still think everyone should have the same rights. I

I think Seth Rogan said it best on twitter. ” Claiming someone else’s marriage is against your religion is like being mad at someone for eating a donut because you are on a diet!”

I hope this isn’t offensive, it’s just my opinion.

13. Erica on May 10, 2012 12:08 pm

Grace, Your comment is absolutely not offensive. In fact, it’s very welcome. You’re right that the Old Testament is a valid and valuable part of the Bible and I do believe in the ten commandments.

What I was trying to say is that Christianity itself was founded on the teachings of Christ. Christ gave instruction to Peter to lead the way. If we concentrate on the Old Testament, then we’re following more of a Jewish faith. The whole point of Christianity was to distance ourselves from the angry and vengeful God of the Old Testament and being living examples of Jesus’s compassion for all men. Does that make sense?

14. Grace on May 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Yes, I see your point. It does make sense.

I hate that there are “Christians” that are muddying this up for everyone. Part of christianity is the part where God gave us the right to choose. That is a very important part that people keep forgetting. We get to choose what we believe, how we live, what we do. Most importantly, we should get to choose who we marry. Hopefully that will happen soon.

Doesn’t it seem ridiculous? Dont people realize that eventually this will be made legal? If you go back in history, you will find that…wow, women get to vote, black people are the same as white and guess what…..gays will be able to get married in every state in America. It’s only a matter of time.
    I believe it will happen!

15. Misty on May 14, 2012 9:41 am